Home > 1/2 Marathon, Triple Crown > Running in Carlsbad for Donate Life and Finishing up 39.3 Miles in 3 Weeks

Running in Carlsbad for Donate Life and Finishing up 39.3 Miles in 3 Weeks

Thank You:

Grandpa: for driving to and from the convention and the race and the victory meal after the event. As well as the gas and hotel fees I didn’t have to pay because of the driving.
Mom: for financial support but having a mind lapse on what.

Irvine (January 8, 2011)
Arizona (January 16, 2011)
Carlsbad (January 23, 2011)

I ran the Tri-City Medical Center Carlsbad Half Marathon 2011 on Sunday for the 3rd half marathon I completed in the Winter break and the third half in three weeks. It was quite an adventure and I’ve learned a lot about my body and running.

On Friday, I participated in a club event for a few hours and went to a stress echo right away (cardiologist said I have a perfect heart, no worries, the chest pain is more than likely from heart burn or skeletal muscle pain). Right after that, I ran into work for my first night shift. I had to switch with someone at work to get Friday morning off. After that, I ate and went to the convention with my grandpa. I picked up my Donate Life shirt, went home took care of a few things and passed out on my bed for a cat nap (up for 31 hours). Didn’t sleep very long actually, few hours and felt refreshed. Watch some television with my mom and couldn’t sleep until 2:00AM.

Woke up at 4:30AM and then at 4:32 and then 4:37 up until 4:55AM when I finally dragged myself out of bed, turned my light on and did my morning running routine before a race. Ate a little cereal, slapped some cheese on peanut butter bread and ran out the door. I was impressed they had so many bathrooms in the morning. In other races there can be so few that it takes 30 minutes to an hour to go to the bathroom.

There were about seven waves for the event, I was in the sixth and moved up to the 5th one because it was with the pacers who were around 2:30 pace. I had no expectations for this run but I figured I would try really hard so I moved up the wave. At about mile one I caught up with them going up this hill. I was behind them for about four miles and finally introduced myself to the pacer. I said, “Oh, I’ve been behind you for about four miles” the runners pacing with him all laughed. I talked with him for a few minutes after that, how was I feeling, a few tips on keeping pace. One of the big tips he gave me was going up and down hills. Put your chin up when going up a hill because it will open up your airway and give you more oxygen. If you put it down it will close up your trachea and give less. Going downhill, putting your chest out so it does a lot of the work for you, don’t use as much energy and go faster. Eating GU or power bars, try and eat them before a water station so they don’t dehydrate you at all.

I met another guy who was running with us for a few miles. He was using this as a training half marathon for the California Iron Man in March. He was really cool, just went with the flow. I went to get some water at a water station and didn’t see after that.

Nothing too out of the ordinary for this run along the way. There were a few bands, a few people playing music, a lot of people on the sidelines. The beachfront was okay, mostly salty air which made it a little harder to run in. I guess its harder to enjoy the beachfront property when something like that comes up because I’ve been fifteen minutes from the beach most of my life. I recognized the most of it from previous times we went though. Other than that, I didn’t notice too much of anything that was going on because I was mostly focused on keeping pace with the pacer. This one turned to be full of large hills (I think one of them was a mile up) and it got to be really hot out. I thought I was going to make it and about 9 1/2 miles I told him that I should walk because I was getting dizzy. I was actually dizzy for the last mile and just didn’t want to risk anything happening the day before school and after three half marathons in a row. We were on track, before that, to finish in a 2:29, one minute before 2:30. We were about one to two minutes ahead the whole time depending on going up hill or not.

A little bummed because I really felt like I could make it. While it seems like all you have to do is just do another one, when you’ve been running for that many miles, you get that “awwww” feeling for a few minutes. I said that I would run a little walk a little because I still could have made a 2:36 or a 2:39 but I couldn’t do it after I cooled down to a walk.

A runner at 12.5 miles came up to me and say, “Hey, I need your help, can you run with me?” Her team was already ahead of her and she needed someone to be right there with her. Definitely, it’s a lot easier that way, hard to explain. So, I said, “Sure” and kept running with her. To be honest, I wasn’t thrilled, I just jogged .4 miles right before she said to keep going with her and I was already exhausted but I did it. We stopped once along the way but finished together. It was her first one, she did a great job. A 2:40 for the first time! I think my first one was 3:35 haha and I was exhausted. She’s a trooper, I’ll run with her again.

A lot of people from Donate Life were supporting the runners. They were great and I loved the sweatshirts they had! I wish I could have picked one up myself somehow. I would wear that one everywhere. We missed the early morning photo shoot too, I feel kind of bad about that but I’ll do it if I do it next year. It was great running with Donate Life’s shirt though. They asked me to run with one as if they would be honored, but it was completely the opposite. Or more to say the respect or appreciation was both directions. Proud Tri-City Medical Carlsbad Donate Life runner. They took a picture at about mile 11. They had the news there, the works, promoting the event.

Walked to get the food and everything, ate it all on the way to the car, we drove home (luckily we were right near the freeway), went to Coco’s for a small celebration, uploaded pictures, and passed out right after.

This is the end of another first. My first time running three half marathons in a row. 39.3 miles in three ways. I’m also proud of keeping pace for 9.5 miles with a 2:30 pacer. That’s running almost more than the most I’ve ever run (10 miles) and running it the fastest I’ve ever run 11:45 pace.

Thank you to everyone who made this possible. My grandpa for driving me to and from the convention and to and from the race, the gas and hotel fees that I didn’t have to pay. My mom, financially, but I’m having a mind lapse on what she did. I’ll remember soon and post it. Thank you to everyone for reading and thank you to Donate Life for the opportunity to run for you as well as posting my picture on their blog. Thank you to everyone else who wasn’t mentioned.

[Original post date: January 23, 2011]

Categories: 1/2 Marathon, Triple Crown
  1. No comments yet.
  1. September 3, 2011 at 4:38 am

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: